As the 400th richest person in America, George Soros is worth more than $24 billion. The 85-year-old Hungarian billionaire is also a philanthropist and gives too many liberal causes. To the outside world, he is a shrewd business man. But to his family, he is a loving husband, father, and grandfather. It’s not all work with this guy, but here are some interesting facts you may not know.
- Did you know that he has given away more than 45 percent of his net worth? In total, Forbes estimates that he has donated more than $734 million to charities. He is right up there with donors like the Gates, Mark Zuckerberg and Warren Buffet. Know more on Investopedia about George Soros.
- He has played a critical role in financing the Ferguson, Missouri protest movement. He has given at least $33 million to this project. This one-day criminal event was turned into a 24 hour a day celebration. He is a part of the Missourians Organizing for Reform and Empowerment. He is also affiliated with the Organization for Black Struggle, and other “grass-roots” organizations in this state.
- The Drug Policy Alliance or DPA also receives about $4 million a year from the Soros Foundation. He helped to fuel the Ferguson demonstrations by using another company he backs called the Gamaliel Foundation. George Soros is a driving force in the war against drugs.
- Most people think Soros came from money. However, he started out in poverty. He was under communist rule and a teenage refugee in England. He began his career by working on a railroad and working as a waiter. Some compared his humble beginning to that of Oprah.
- He is a well-educated man. He has a Ph.D. in philosophy from the London School of Economics. His original goal was to become a philosopher, but the world had other plans for him.
- His birth name was György Schwartz. His family feared persecution during the pre-WWII phase. So, they change their name to Soros to avoid any anti-Semitism.
- His name was given with meaning. The last name Soros simply means that he is destined to go far. His father chose this name because of its denotation. It was originally pronounced Shorosh when he lived in England. However, Americans settled on the current pronunciation and it has remained the same ever since.
- He is fluent in many languages, including Esperanto. This 19th-century language was taught to children in Siberia when their father was a prisoner of war. This language helped him to escape Soviet Hungry at the age of 17 years in 1947.
There are so many fascinating things about Soros life that people don’t know. His work in Missouri to clean up drugs and stop rioting has not gone unnoticed. Visit his site to know more at opensocietyfoundations.org.